Mouth jewelry has become a favorite accessory in many youth and cultures around the globe. Did you know, mouth jewelry can harm your oral health? In fact, mouth jewelry can pose serious threats to your oral health and damage to your tongue, which can affect your talking and eating each day.
Our dentist, Dr. Stan Scalf, encourages you to take good care of your oral health. That is why our team at Stan Scalf DMD in Georgetown, Kentucky, is here to explain the damage mouth jewelry can do to your teeth.
Here is a list of reasons why mouth jewelry can be damaging to your oral health:
– Dental damage: Mouth jewelry is tough and can chip and crack your teeth easily causing severe pain and dental damage to your teeth.
– Risk of infections: Because your mouth is a wet place, it is also a breeding region for bacteria that can cling to your mouth jewelry and cause many infections.
– Choking: Because the mouth jewelry often has small parts with it, it becomes a choking threat, especially while you sleep.
– Nerve damage: Mouth jewelry, tongue jewelry exactly, is dangerous because your tongue is full of nerves and if not applied correctly, you can damage the nerves in your tongue creating speech and even chewing difficulties.
– Allergies: Thousands of people suffer from allergic reactions to metals in their mouth because their mouth is a sensitive spot in their body.
– Drooling: Tongue jewelry is known to create saliva production which can cause excessive drooling.
As you can see, there are many disadvantages to having mouth jewelry. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you would like a dental checkup, please call us today at 502-863-9340 to make an appointment. Our friendly team is happy to assist you with your oral health care needs.