A toothache is a pain often felt in a tooth that can range from mild to debilitating. Oftentimes the pain stems from the nerve endings in the pulp either damaged or infected. A variety of reasons could be at fault for the damage, including oral accidents, cavities, infection, tooth loss, unseen damage, and other internal health issues.
When is a toothache more than a toothache? Ask yourself the following questions:
– Do you feel pain and discomfort even after using medications to dull the pain?
– Has the pain persisted for longer than 24 hours?
– Do you have any noticeable swelling in the affected area or in and around your face?
– Is there any discharge around the tooth?
– Have you suffered any oral accidents that resulted in tooth loss?
– Do you have a TMJ disorder?
– Do you have any fevers or chills?
– Do you have any unexplained facial rashes?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may need to have your toothache examined. Stan Scalf DMD is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Stan Scalf and our team at our dentist office in Georgetown, Kentucky, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 502-863-9340. We look forward to helping make your smile amazing!